Project Vernon Parish
Places of Interest | Trails & Byways | Outdoor Recreation
Wolf Rock Cave is located in the Vernon Unit of the Calcasieu Ranger District of Kisatchie National Forest. The cave dates to around 2500-1000 B.C.E. and was likely used by native peoples to shelter or to collect tool making material. Today, the cave is easily accessible via a short trail from the parking area and it overlooks Bundick’s Creek.
Wolf Rock Cave is also a stop along the Myths & Legends Byway that runs through Vernon, Beauregard, and Allen Parishes. The Myths & Legends Byway Scenic Byway covers a portion of the area formerly known as “no man’s land” — an area once populated by outlaws and gunslingers. The byway is divided into 3 drive able sections: Section 1 – Burr’s Ferry Bridge to Anacoco Creek, Section 2 – Rosepine to Pickering, Section 3 – Pickering to Pitkin – Wolf Rock Cave is part of Section 3- Pickering to Pitkin.
(click an image below to view the gallery)